Proving that you definitely can flog a dead horse if you try hard enough, Bleeding Cool has reported that a potential HARRY POTTER Quidditch movie may be in the works.
Now this isn’t to say that the HARRY POTTER franchise is dead – it only went and made $70 bajillion after all – but there does come a point where everything starts to whiff a bit of STAR WARS. Professor Flitwick will be getting a spin-off next.
Absolutely nothing is confirmed just yet so mark this firmly as rumour but, following the official unveiling of Warner Bros. first foray into the Potter extended universe with FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM, several Potter related trademarks have been filed, including:
* Newt Scamader (the protagonist of FANTASTIC BEASTS, so an obvious one),
* TALES OF BEEDLE THE BARD (another one of Rowling’s spin-off half-books),
* QUIDDITCH THROUGH THE AGES (a diegetic spin-off book based on Quidditch shockingly enough and the impetus of this rumour),
* QUIDDITCH THROUGH THE AGES author Kennilworthy Whisp,
* Several Quidditch team names including Winburne Wasps, Chudley Cannons, and Kenmare Kestrels.
So there you have it, a whole bunch of Quidditch-y goodness now official locked behind legalities. Whether to simply protect its intellectual property or to push ahead with more televisual tales of wizardry is, as I said, unknown. But it certainly seems possible that WB are advancing into a new realm of Rowling’s universe, perhaps to the tune of a billion dollars or two.
Share your comments below or on Twitter @STARBURST_MAG
CLICK CHUCKY FOR OUR LATEST ISSUE!