With Gareth Edwards’ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story released later this year, large parts of the film are still shrouded in mystery. Well, now we at least have some solid outlines on the key players of the picture.
EW has revealed the character descriptions for the main characters of Rogue One, and it reads a little like this:
- Felicity Jones as Jyn Erso: Described by producer Kathleen Kennedy as “She’s got a checkered past. She has been detained by the Rebellion and is being given an opportunity to be useful. And by being useful, it may commute her sentence.”
- Diego Luna as Captain Cassian Andor: Described as a by-the-book Rebel intelligence officer who is committed, steady, and practical, and has seen more than his share of combat. Lucasfilm’s Kiri Hart stated “He conveys a fair amount of experience and the reality of what it’s like to do this every day, to try to figure out how to resist the Empire effectively and intelligently. It’s not easy.”
- Donnie Yan as Chirrut Imwe: Described as perhaps the most interesting new addition. He isn’t a Jedi but is devoted to the ways of the Jedi, used his spiritual beliefs to overcome his own blindness. Kathleen Kennedy said, “Chirrut falls into the category of being a warrior monk. He very much still believes in everything the Jedi were about.”
- Jiang Wen as Baze Malbus: Described as heavily armoured and a loyal friend of Chirrut.
- Riz Ahmed as Bodhi Rook: The lead pilot of the group, described as being a hot head.
- Alan Tudyk as K-2SO: A motion capture character who is the antithesis of C3PO, according to director Gareth Edwards, who adds, “Kaytoo is a little bit like Chewbacca’s personality in a droid’s body. He doesn’t give a shit about what you think. He doesn’t full check himself before he says things and does things. He just speaks the truth.”
- Mads Mikkelsen as Galen Erso: The estranged father of Felicity Jones’ Jyn, described as the Star Wars version of the father of nuclear weapons, J. Robert Oppenheimer, and the kid of scientist who both the Rebellion and Empire are eager to have on their side. Kiri Hart says, “He’s one of those people that has insight into specific aspects of just how the universe works.”
- Ben Mendelsohn as Director Orson Krennic: He’s the main villain of the film, the leader of the Deathtroopers that were seen in the teaser trailer. His plan is to take out the Rebels in order to win favour with Emperor Palpatine whilst also hopefully avoiding the wrath of Darth Vader. Executive producer John Knoll explains, “The bad guy is a lot more terrifying when he’s really smart and really effective. There is a lot of palace intrigue going on in the Empire, with people conspiring to move up the ranks and sabotaging each other. There’s not a lot of loyalty there.”
- Forest Whitaker as Saw Gerrera: A character who many will be familiar with fans from The Clone Wars series, where he fought alongside a pre-Vader Anakin Skywalker. Kathleen Kennedy says, “Consider him kind of a battered veteran who leads a band of Rebel extremists. He’s on the fringe of the Rebel Alliance. Even they are a little concerned about him.”
So, that’s a whole load of new information to take in and digest on the Rogue One front. And yes, in case you were wondering, Darth Vader is indeed going to make an appearance in the film.
To be directed by Gareth Edwards, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is currently set for a December 16th release.SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW OR ON TWITTER @STARBURST_MAG
Find your local STARBURST stockist HERE, or buy direct from us HERE. For our digital edition (available to read on your iOS, Android, Amazon, Windows 8, Samsung and/or Huawei device - all for just £1.99), visit MAGZTER DIGITAL NEWSSTAND.
CLICK TO BUY!
MORE FROM AROUND THE WEB: