Planning a movie night and don’t know what to watch? Maybe you are just a movie fan looking for a great film? Well, you are in the right place! Gambling offers great film material because you never know what the outcome of a bet is, and movies can play with that tension to create amazing stories. The films on this list show audiences cool gambling storylines but they also contain complex characters, interesting plots, and unexpected turns.
So, if you want your friends to compliment your pick at the next movie night, and refine your gambling film taste, keep reading.
Enjoy more than just blackjack with Casino
Casino is considered one of Robert DeNiro’s and Martin Scorsese’s best films, so you really can’t go wrong with it. This movie has all the tension of a high stakes Blackjack game, with a solid emotional and personal story to tell. In addition to DeNiro, you’ll also enjoy the performance of other A-list actors like Sharon Stone, Joe Pesci, and James Woods.
Why you should watch it:
- It’s a perfectly paced film that uses its highs and lows to keep you interested
- The cast consists of talented actors
- Martin Scorsese is one of the best directors alive
- When it comes to gambling cinema this is a true classic
Go to the casino with the Ocean’s Trilogy
This trilogy is a great homage to casinos taking viewers from Vegas to Montecarlo to explore the gambling world. Ocean’s gives audiences a behind-the-scenes look at how casinos run. While the first in the series stands out as the most solid, the whole set of all three movies is entertaining to watch. To summarize, the Ocean's trilogy has it all: suspense, witty humor, constant action, an amazing cast, and unexpected plot twists.
Why you should watch it
- The star-studded cast: George Clooney, Brad Pitt, and Julia Roberts
- It hits all the spots a blockbuster film should
- You get a behind the scenes look at casinos
The original Ocean’s Eleven
The original Ocean’s Eleven was the inspiration for the whole series and it’s a great movie on its own, so you should definitely give it a shot.
Why you should watch it: Great performances by the original rat pack
- It's fun and full of action
- An iconic film from its time
If you want sports and laughter choose Bookies
This 2003 film follows four college friends who turn an amateur Sports Betting gig into a business. The story starts off in a lighthearted and relatable way but as the business grows, things take a dramatic turn. The friends run into trouble after making it big and have to solve certain issues quickly, resulting in a very entertaining film. Bookies balances humor, drama, and action almost perfectly.
Why you should watch it:
- It a humorous take on gambling
- The performances feel genuine and real
- It doesn’t drag on, just 88 minutes long.
Want more titles to add to your gambling movie list?
- Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
- High Roller: The Stu Ungar Story
- Cool Hand Luke
- Casino Royale (part of the James Bond 007 series)
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Why these are worth a watch?
- They show new perspectives to the gambling film genre
- All these films offer a good mix of classic and modern filmmaking
- They all have all achieved critical acclaim