Extra bits n' bobs from this week's genre news!
* Just when we thought FAMILY GUY creator Seth McFarlane was an odd choice for THE FLINSTONES reboot, news comes in that he’s added another, even stranger show to his slate with a remake of Carl Sagan’s docu-series COSMOS: A PERSONAL VOYAGE.
* Samuel L. Jackson has shed a little light on what we can expect from his Nick fury character in THE AVENGERS: “I’m actually doing more than I’ve done in any of the other films,” he tells the BBC this week. “You don’t have to wait until the end of the movie to see me. I’m actually around the whole movie and I do a lot more. I have action scenes and I actually do things to people in this movie.” Good to hear.
* Check out the first pic of Roadblock from G.I. JOE 2, courtesy of The Rock’s own Twitter account. Dude needs to sort himself out, maybe hit the gym once in a while.
* We don’t expect this movie to hit UK cinemas at all, but hopefully OPUS will find a home amongst the plethora of direct-to-DVD horror flicks that assault the shelves every Monday. Based on the trailer I’m going to have to make a note to search this one out…
* Rob Zombie’s been hyping up his first original movie in six years, THE LORDS OF SALEM: "Watching LORDS OF SALEM SFX test footage... Holy f**k this is f***ing sick shit. I hope everyone loves demented, perverted satanic movies." As long as they’re well made, Rob – after the HALLOWEEN remakes you’ve got a lot to make up for. Here’s a suitably teaser-y poster…
* Genre legend Bruce Campbell teased on Twitter this week that he’s been cast in buddy Sam Raimi’s OZ, THE GREAT AND POWERFUL: “I. Am. In. Oz. Sam Raimi refuses to tell me what character I will portray. Just know that the role is PIVOTAL.” Does Oz have cocky ushers?
* Brett Ratner (RUSH HOUR; X-MEN LAST STAND) has been signed to direct next year’s Oscar ceremony. Pardon?
* In another unusual career move, acclaimed filmmaker Steven Soderbergh (OCEAN’S 11, 12, 13) has just joined the crew of the big-screen HUNGER GAMES adaptation. As a second unit director. Huh.
* R.I.P. Bubba Smith. Don’t say “who?”, he played Hightower in the POLICE ACADEMY movies and… other stuff too. Probably.
* Ryan Reynolds has been pimping that lame looking body-swap comedy THE CHANGE UP recently, allowing us to get a little more info on what to expect in the future: "I'm doing R.I.P.D. next and then hopefully Deadpool. It’s still in development." Damn. Was kind of hoping this had all been forgotten about. Ok, so what about all this GREEN LANTERN kafuffle, is a sequel happening or not? "I have no idea, that's not up to me.” Alright, Reynolds – bit snippy. “I don't write those checks. And if I did I certainly wouldn't be standing on a red carpet, I would be sunning myself somewhere”. Doesn’t sound too great does it?
* Sony are clearly banking on THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN hitting massive - they’ve already announced that the sequel will be hitting May 2014! Wonder which videogame they’ll pilfer from for Part 2?
* Aaaaand finally, speaking of Spidey - ever wondered just how bad the Broadway bothering, U2-penned SPIDER-MAN TURN OFF THE DARK could be? Well wonder no more…
Thoughts on any of the above? Drop 'em in the Comments below!