So while the full box office was busy bowing to the military might of LONE SURVIVOR, we here at Starburst have been FROZEN in place. Geddit? Yes, it may have been in cinemas for nearly two months now, but it seems our American cousins base their movie-going choices on what they can see out of that there window, namely snow. A whole lot of snow. If there’s one thing the internet can’t stop talking about right now… it’s snow.
Disney, ever eager to profit on the misery of others, have managed to push their now Golden Globe winning animated movie far past original expectations. It’s $15.1 million haul is just 23% down on last week, and marks the 4th highest 7th weekend ever. So there you go kids, the secret recipe to box office success includes chirpy mascots, ambiguous titles and freak weather patterns.
The swords & sandals flick THE LEGEND OF HERCULES – the first of two films this year starring this particular son of Zeus – underperformed launching into 2nd place with $8.6 million. A B- CinemaScore doesn’t bode well for future weeks and it could close below $20 million, a big blow.
In 3rd is THE HOBBIT: THE DESOLATION OF SMAUG, still performing well enough to flirt with joining the billion dollar club with an $8 million weekend.
Finishing up the Top 5 is PARANORMAL ACTIVITY: THE MARKED ONES, which solidified its reputation as a disappointment by haemorrhaging 66% off last weekend with $6.3 million, and HER which disappointed in its nationwide expansion. With a $5.4 million weekend and a poor B- CinemaScore HER is now depending on an Oscars bump when the nominations are released on Thursday.
Elsewhere, CATCHING FIRE officially became the highest grossing film of 2013 in 6th, taking the title from IRON MAN 3 with its $4.4 million takings pushing its lifetime gross to $414 million. WALTER MITTY, GRUDGE MATCH, 47 RONIN and WALKING WITH DINOSAURS all continued performing poorly and are all guaranteed to gross below their production budgets. A sad weekend all in all.
Domestic Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror Top 10
01. Frozen - $15.1m - ($317.7m gross, 8 weeks)
02. The Legend of Hercules - $8.6m - ($18.6m gross, 1 week)
03. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - $8.0m- ($242.2m gross, 5 weeks)
04. Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones - $6.3m - ($28.5m gross, 2 weeks)
05. Her - $5.4m - ($8.8m gross, 4 weeks)
06. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - $4.6m - ($414m gross, 8 weeks)
07. Walter Mitty - $4.4m - ($52.7m gross, 3 weeks)
08. Grudge Match - $2m - ($28.5m gross, 3 weeks)
09. 47 Ronin - $1.5m - ($36.3m gross, 3 weeks)
10. Walking With Dinosaurs - $1.3m - ($33.6m gross, 4 weeks)
Share your comments below or on Twitter @STARBURST_MAG
CLICK COVER FOR OUR LATEST ISSUE!