Bits n' Bobs From The Week's Movie/TV News...
* Terrence Malick’s eagerly awaiting new movie THE TREE OF LIFE made its debut in Cannes this week, and the response was less than encouraging. The movie, which stars Brad Pitt and Sean Penn, split critics, many of who booed the screen (what a bunch of knobs.) It’s worth noting that the Cannes audience also gave en equally frosty reception to Richard Kelly’s SOUTHLAND TALES in 2007, and look how that turned out. Oh, wait…
* Tim Burton has dropped out of MALEFICENT, the Disney SLEEPING BEAUTY re-imagining that would have focused on the titular evil witch. Burton is instead now giving his full attention to FRANKENWEENIE, the feature length adaptation of his brilliant short. But first up, DARK SHADOWS (read our plot synopsis here.) Disney are now courting David Slade (30 DAYS OF NIGHT) to take the helm.
* ARABIAN NIGHTS is heading back to the big-screen courtesy of Universal Pictures and producer Brian Grazer. Plans are to turn the property into a massive franchise, and they’re already planning to extend it across several mediums; including graphic novels, video games, and Happy Meal tie-ins.
* Last week we previewed the (rather crappy quality) leaked poster for THE MUPPETS, now check out the product proper! Can. Not. Wait. (But ‘still’ don’t understand that tagline…)
* Phillip Noyce (SALT) is attached to direct a remake of ‘80s martial arts ‘classic’ BLOODSPORT. The movie will be written by TAKEN scribe Robert Mark Kamen, and released sometime in 2012. Disappointingly, there’s no sign of Van Damme’s involvement as of yet…
* Israel’s first foray into the slasher genre RABIES has been picked up for US distribution by Image Entertainment. The film – which tells the tale of a brother and sister falling prey to a psychotic killer - is getting a huge amount of buzz on the festival circuit, so expect a UK release to be announced soon. In the meantime, check out the poster:
* Craig Robinson, star of the US version of THE OFFICE, will play Satan in Lionsgate Films’ new post-apocalyptic comedy RAPTUREPALOOZA. The writer of BILL AND TED’S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE Chris Matheson has penned the script, and will co-produce with Robinson himself. Also set to feature is Rob Cordray (he of the unbearably unfunny HOT TUB TIME MACHINE) and Anna Kendrik (she of the awesome SCOTT PILGRIM VS. THE WORLD.) With the day of the actual Rapture being this very weekend (Saturday 6pm to be precise) the film won’t be a laughing matter for those of us left behind.
* The excellent Michelle Williams is the latest to sign up to Sam Raimi’s OZ: THE GREAT AND POWERFUL as the good witch Glinda. Read our previous report here for more deets on the project.
Tune in for more WEEKEND ROUNDUP tomorrow! In the meantime, have at it in the comments section below!