Extra bits n' bobs from this week's genre news!
* Not content with upsetting fans with the news that the EVIL DEAD remake has taken precedent over a fourth entry in the series, Bruce Campbell has also confirmed work has begun on MY NAME IS BRUCE 2.
* David Yates (director of HARRY POTTER 4, 6, 7, 7.5) has been earmarked to helm the movie adaptation of Stephen King’s THE STAND.
* Turn away Rhona Mitra, you’re not going to like this - here’s the first pic from UNDERWORLD 4: AWAKENING, featuring the return of original star Kate Beckinsale…
* The AKIRA remake might not be dead yet, though it has reportedly had its budget significantly slashed. Jaume Collet-Serra, director of the ace little-seen horror flick ORPHAN, is the guy Warner Bros has brought in to replace The Hughes Bros.
* Currently riding high on his GAME OF THRONES success, actor Sean Bean has landed the role of another King in Tarsem Singh’s upcoming Snow White movie.
* Talking of Snow White movies (yep, there’s more than one on the way), Nick Frost is the final dwarf to be cast in SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN. Whose playing the other 6 you ask? Check out our previous story here.
* Acclaimed comic-book writer Garth Ennis (PREACHER, HELLBLAZER to name just two) has made his directorial debut with short film STITCHED. Here’s the trailer:
* That 300 prequel thingy we were talking about recently (check it out here) has landed a director, step forward Noam Murro. He made the 2008 indie comedy drama SMART PEOPLE starring Ellen Page. Natural choice.
* Calling all five of you SUCKER PUNCH fans out there! The Movie Masterpiece Series are releasing figures of your favourite characters! Unless your favourite characters are Sweet Pea, Rocket, Blondie, or that rapey orderly. Check 'em out... (anyone getting a creepy Real Doll vibe from Amber?)
* There’s a HOWLING: REBORN now? Yup. If Joe Dante were dead he'd be turning in his grave. But he's not. So instead he's probably just a bit miffed. Anyway, check it out if you've got the time...
* Our very own GIRL FROM PLANET X asked this month ‘TEEN WOLF – Who’s Actually Watching?’. Turns out – loads. MTV have commissioned a second season.
* We’ve had some UNDERWORLD 4 first look pics, anyone up for a peak at the TOTAL RECALL remake? Why not…
* The new season of DEXTER is almost upon us, we’ve had a pretty cool teaser, now let’s have a look at a proper (and quite brilliant) trailer…
* Robin Hardy has finally delivered on his 38 year old promise to give us his needless WICKER MAN (pseudo) follow-up with upcoming flick THE WICKER TREE (preferred the rather unique original title THE RIDING OF THE LADDIE myself), now he’s insisting there’s a third on the way! Expect THE WICKER (WHATEVER) sometime 2049.
Thoughts? We know know you got 'em! Share them below with your Starburst buds!