Extra bits n' bobs from this week's genre news...
* Ron Howard is set to direct SPY VS. SPY, based on the classic Mad Magazine comic strip of old. Can anybody explain why these two spies looked the way they did – with the pointy faces? It’s always bugged me. Are they meant to be human or what? More importantly, what does this mean for his Howard’s cross-medium adaptation of Stephen King’s on-and-off-again DARK TOWER? I know which one I’d rather see.
* Cameron has dropped a few hints about his plans for AVATAR 2 & 3, “We’re shooting two films back-to-back, so I’m writing two scripts, not one, which will complete a free-film story arc. Not really a trilogy, but just an overall character arc so I’m pretty excited about that.” Wonder which movies he’ll unashamedly pilfer from this time? We’ll find out Dec 2014 and 2015.
* Talking of AVATAR, how many idiots do you think are going to be fooled into buying this, out soon on DVD?
* Wondering why the real reason celebrated thespian Megan Fox is absent from TRANSFORMERS 3? Seems like it’s not a good idea to compare your director to Hitler when talking to the press (who’d o' thunk it!) with Stephen Spielberg ordering Bay to fire her on the spot. Ouch.
* In related news, Paramount are issuing cinemas brighter prints of the threequel to combat the increasing problem of theatre chains not projecting 3D movies at the correct light levels in attempt to get more mileage out of the uber-expensive bulbs. Flippin’ cheapskates.
* Pixar has announced a 27th of November 2013 release date for their upcoming movie… that they refuse to even talk about. When pressed for more info, all the studio would reveal was that “it’s not a sequel or an adaptation”. Interesting...
* CLOVERFIELD and LET ME IN director Matt Reeves has signed to helm an adaptation of Justin Cronin’s apocalyptic novel THE PASSAGE.
* Nine Inch Nails front man Trent Reznor is developing an adaptation of his 2007 album YEAR ZERO for HBO, with FIGHT CLUB scribe Jim Uhls tasked with writing the miniseries. Haven’t listened to it myself, so details are thin on the ground other than it presents a dystopian vision of the future in the year 2022 and is definitely NOT a prequel to the Jack Black & Michael Cera stinker YEAR ONE.
* FAST 6 release date announced via Vin’s facebook, “For all of you that supported Fast Five in a way no one could have predicted, seeing it multiple times to record breaking box office... To you, who stayed through the credits, and from the moment you left the theater wanted to know, when Six was coming out... I have a date... Memorial Day 2013!!! You, officially, are the first to know." Cheers, VD!
* Robert Rodriguez wasn’t kidding when he slapped a 4D tag on his SPY KIDS: ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD trailer, he’s bringing back Smell-O-Vision! Audience members will be issued scratch and sniff cards before the movie, with on screen prompts to tell you when to use them. Wish he’d done this with MACHETE.
Check back tomorrow for more WEEKEND ROUNDUP!
Share your thoughts on any of the above in the Comments below!