The renowned ‘how-to’ specialist Haynes has released the perfect accompaniment for people heading into the board games - The Tabletop Gaming Manual.
The Tabletop Gaming Manual is a comprehensive, fully-illustrated guide to all aspects of tabletop gaming, from popular and traditional games, through to modern board games, role-playing and miniatures.
Aimed at those looking to get into gaming or those just starting out, as well as more experienced players, the manual is full of practical advice to aid the enjoyment of games.
Written by gaming enthusiast and journalist Matt Thrower, the manual contains numerous photos of games and gaming components to help those new to the hobby appreciate creative, artistic and tactile aspects of gaming.
Matt said: “Tabletop gaming allows people to immerse themselves in new or fantastical worlds, and become engrossed in tactical battles with friends or family.”
“Tabletop gaming has gone from strength to strength, with more and more players participating each year. The variety of games on offer is one of the hobby’s main appeals - there is something for everyone, and no two experiences are ever the same.”
Content from the manual includes:
- A history of board games, ancient and modern.
- A brief overview of the hottest games on the market.
- How to pick, purchase and put away games for your collection.
- A hands-on guide to expanding and improving game components.
- Step-by-step guides to painting, modelling and sculpting your own miniatures.
- An exploration and explanation of popular gameplay mechanics.
- Designing and publishing your own games and variants.
Matt Thrower continued: “While there are specialist books out there, nothing else covers such a wide range of topics – designed to help those with little or no existing knowledge of tabletop gaming.”
Discussing his inspiration for the book, Matt said: “When I was younger it was a book on Dungeons and Dragons, which I came about by chance, that got me into a life of hobby gaming, and I haven’t looked back. My hope is that this book can similarly open the way to a lifetime of joy for others.”