For those XCOM: Enenmy Unknown fans amongst us (and there's a few) the season of goodwill hasn't left just yet. 2K and Firaxis have announced the release of new DLC for XCOM. Best of all? It's FREE!
Second Wave brings a whole host of game modifiers into play, though they're only available once you've completed the main campaign - which shouldn't take you too long (for all its excellence it was a little short in terms of single-player, especially in comparison with the original Microprose UFO: Enemy Unknown). This is good news for those who haven't picked it up for a while as it should allow at least one more fresh play through.
The add-on modifiers are listed below (from press release):
- Damage Roulette: Weapons have a wider range of damage.
- New Economy: Randomized council member funding.
- Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats.
- Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, stats increase randomly.
- Red Fog: Combat wounds will degrade the soldier’s mission stats.
- Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot guarantees a critical hit.
- The Greater Good: Psionics can only be learned from interrogating a psionic alien.
- Marathon: The game takes considerably longer to complete.
- Results Driven: A country offers less funding as its panic level increases.
- High Stakes: Random rewards for stopping alien abductions.
- Diminishing Returns: Increased cost of satellite construction.
- More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare.
If you want more missions and maps however you'll have to pony up £5.49 for the Slingshot DLC. Here you get to fight in China after meeting an enigmatic Triad operative (is there any other kind?) and diverting a UFO's course (presumably away from the somewhat limited map selection previously available).
XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN - SECOND WAVE is available now as a free download for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.
Share your comments below or on Twitter @STARBURST_MAG
Find your local Starburst Magazine stockist HERE, or buy direct from us HERE. Our issues are also available as fully interactive iPad editions, loaded with multimedia, and can be downloaded via Apple HERE.