Nottingham-based sci-fi fans are in for a treat this December: Mayhem Film Festival, in partnership with Film Hub Central East and the BFI's nationwide sci-fi programme 'Days of Fear and Wonder', present 'The Created Woman' - a three-day journey into sci-fi with screenings, events and discussions, running from 5th to the 7th December at the Broadway Cinema, Nottingham.
Made up of sci-fi classics and some under-the-radar gems, and with a range of contributors including writers and filmmakers alongside the Mayhem team, this season will offer a chance to review and reassess the idea of the created woman – a recurring theme within the sci-fi genre, from creating the “perfect” woman, creation gone wrong, constructing wives and daughters, through to conjuring of the woman.
Co-curated by London Film Festival Programme Advisor Sarah Lutton and Mayhem Co-Directors Chris Cooke and Steven Sheil, the season will include screenings of FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN, WEIRD SCIENCE, METROPOLIS, THE STEPFORD WIVES, SOLARIS (1972 and 2002), and CHERRY 2000. The Broadway Lounge will be transformed into the Sci-Fi Salon, hosting a series of free screenings including DR JEKYLL AND SISTER HYDE, THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTIN, METROPOLIS 20001, TEKNOLUST and WESTWORLD.
All screenings will be introduced; each contributor sharing their passion for sci-fi and discussing ideas of the created woman. An informal discussion event, 'Robot Women and Created Wives', also held in the Sci-Fi Salon, will complete the season.
Here’s the full line-up:
FRI 5 DEC
- 6pm: FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN (dir. Terence Fisher, 1967) + INTRODUCTION BY CHRIS COOKE (12)
- 8:30pm: WEIRD SCIENCE + INTRODUCTION BY JEANIE FINLEY, BROADWAY-BASED FILM-MAKER
- 10:30pm: DR JEKYLL AND SISTER HYDE (dir. Roy Ward Baker, 1971) 93mins
SAT 6 DEC
- 1pm: METROPOLIS (dir. Fritz Lang, 1927) + INTRODUCTION BY SARAH LUTTON
- 1:30pm: THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (dir. James Whale, 1935) 75mins
- 4pm: ROBOT WOMEN AND CREATED WIVES SALON DISCUSSION EVENT
- 6pm: THE STEPFORD WIVES (dir. Bryan Forbes, 1975) + INTRODUCTION BY JOHN MARKS, UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM
- 6:30pm: METROPOLIS 2001 / AKA OSAMU TEZUKA'S METROPOLIS (dir. Rintaro, 2001) 105mins
- 9pm: SOLARIS (dir. Steven Soderbergh, 2002) + INTRODUCTION BY ROLF HELLEBUST, UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM
- 10:30pm: TEKNOLUST (dir. Lynn Hershman Leeson, 2002) 85mins
SUN 7 DEC
- 1pm: CHERRY 200 (dir. Steve De Jarnatt, 1987) + INTRODUCTION BY CHRIS COOKE
- 2pm: WESTWORLD (dir. Michael Crichton, 1973) 86mins
- 3:30pm: SOLARIS (dir. Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972) + INTRODUCTION BY ROLF HELLEBUST
Tickets for all cinema screenings are £5 and currently on sale. Screenings and events in the Sci-Fi Salon (our lounge) are free. To book tickets and to find out more information, please visit http://www.broadway.org.uk/groups/the_created_woman
SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW OR ON TWITTER @STARBURST_MAG
Find your local STARBURST stockist HERE, or buy direct from us HERE. For our digital edition (available to read on your iOS, Android, Amazon, Windows 8, Samsung and/or Huawei device - all for just £1.99), visit MAGZTER DIGITAL NEWSSTAND.
CLICK TO BUY!
MORE FROM AROUND THE WEB: