Following the first look at Chris Hemsworth’s Thunder God sporting a spiffy new hairdo for November’s Thor: Ragnarok, now comes some solid plot details on the movie.
With EW having nabbed the ‘first look’ images of Thor’s short new ‘do, plus first glimpses at Cate Blanchett’s Hela and Tessa Thompson’s Valkyrie, the outlet also has the first dibs on confirmed plot points.
A lot of this is similar to what had previously been rumoured and presumed, but there are a few interesting new bits of info to have surfaced. So, let’s break it down a little. And as ever with something like this, be warned of potential spoilers ahead. You’ve been warned…
- The film will initially pick up from when we last saw Thor, as in him shooting off during Avengers: Age of Ultron to find out who was manipulating Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.
- Hearing about trouble in Asgard, the God of Thunder realises that Loki has been impersonating Odin on the throne.
- Meanwhile, Loki’s time at the helm is described as “lax”, and as such Blanchett’s Hela – the Goddess of Hell – has reemerged from imprisonment.
- Ever the hero, Thor confronts Hela… only to be blasted off to the gladiatorial planet of Sakaar, which is ruled by Jeff Goldblum’s charming Grandmaster.
- Here, the Son of Odin will meet Tessa Thompson’s Valkyrie, a tough-as-nails warrior who likes nothing more than a good scrap and a few steins of ale. As Chris Hemsworth himself told EW, “Thor is a bit of a fanboy for the Valkyrie, the elite women warriors.”
- Forced to become a gladiator of his own, Thor ends up having a swanky new haircut and loses his trusty Mjolnir. In the place of his beloved hammer are a pair of rather badass-looking swords.
- When all the dust settles, the Thunder God winds up having to battle Sakaar’s most popular and successful gladiator: The Hulk! As Mark Ruffalo told the outlet, “He’s much more of a character than the green rage machine you’ve seen in the Avengers movies. He’s got a swagger. He’s like a god.”
- Of course, presumably after a spot of fisticuffs, Thor and Hulk eventually team up, which leads to a sort of buddy road-trip element to the movie, with Taika Waititi quoting Withnail and I, 48 HRS and Planes, Trains and Automobiles as inspiration for this.
- At some point in the picture, Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sorcerer Supreme will turn up to lend a hand in locating the real Odin, which follows on nicely from Doctor Strange’s post-credits stinger.
- By the time all is said and done, Ragnarok will have ultimately helped to set up what lies ahead in 2018’s Avengers: Infinity War.
So, that’s a whole lot of details to have out there right now, especially given how the film won’t be in cinemas until the final quarter of this year. Still, it all sounds hugely interesting to us, and here’s hoping that the brilliant Taika Waititi can give audiences something truly special when Thor: Ragnarok is released in November.SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW OR ON TWITTER @STARBURST_MAG
Find your local STARBURST stockist HERE, or buy direct from us HERE. For our digital edition (available to read on your iOS, Android, Amazon, Windows 8, Samsung and/or Huawei device - all for just £1.99), visit MAGZTER DIGITAL NEWSSTAND.
CLICK TO BUY!
MORE FROM AROUND THE WEB: