One of the most enjoyable Disney offerings of recent years was 2012’s Wreck-It Ralph, and now comes word that the House of Mouse is to give audiences a sequel to that film.
A press release landed in our inbox today to confirm the news, with the announcement breaking earlier in the day on the studio’s Facebook page. All of the first film’s key players will be returning, with a 2018 release date targeted for the Wreck-It Ralph sequel.
The full press release reads as below:
Wreck-It Ralph is heading back to the big screen, and this time, he’s wrecking the internet. The Oscar-nominated Walt Disney Animation Studios team from the original film is reteaming for the follow-up, including director Rich Moore (“Zootopia,” “The Simpsons”) and producer Clark Spencer (“Zootopia,” “Bolt”). Phil Johnston (writer, “Wreck-It Ralph,” “Zootopia,” “Cedar Rapids”) joins Moore as director and a writer on the project. John C. Reilly and Sarah Silverman return as the bad-guy-turned-good, Ralph, and the girl with the game-winning glitch, Vanellope von Schweetz. The untitled sequel will hit UK cinemas Spring 2018.
The filmmakers and Reilly made the announcement on Facebook Live today.
“From the moment we started working on the first ‘Wreck-It Ralph,’ we knew there were so many possibilities with these characters,” said Moore, who has been developing it since shortly after the release of the first film, and while directing this year’s critically-acclaimed hit “Zootopia” with Byron Howard. “This time, Ralph’s wrecking wreaks havoc on the Web—as only he can do. Characters we loved in the first film are back and we are ecstatic to be working with them—and the actors who voice them—once again.”
“The world of the internet is the perfect place to send Ralph and Vanellope,” said Johnston. “The scope and scale are so vast and the possibilities for comedy are endless.”
“Ralph is a character very near and dear to my heart,” added Reilly. “I'm really looking forward to playing the big lug again. Making the first ‘Wreck-It Ralph’ was one of the most special experiences I've ever had and I'm really looking forward to bringing him back to life. So many kids I've met all over the world are excited to see him again, too. They tell me all the time!”
When “Wreck-It Ralph” opened on Nov. 2, 2012, it turned in the highest opening weekend ever for a Walt Disney Animation Studios film at the time of release. Nominated for an Oscar® and Golden Globe® for best animated feature, “Wreck-It Ralph” won the PGA Award for outstanding producer of an animated theatrical motion picture as well as five Annie Awards, including best animated feature, director, cast and screenplay. The film was named best animated feature by the Broadcast Film Critics Association, earned outstanding achievement in casting for an animated feature by the Casting Society of America, and won the Kids’ Choice Award for favorite animated movie.
As ever, expect to hear more on the hotly-anticipated Wreck-It Ralph sequel as it develops.SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW OR ON TWITTER @STARBURST_MAG
Find your local STARBURST stockist HERE, or buy direct from us HERE. For our digital edition (available to read on your iOS, Android, Amazon, Windows 8, Samsung and/or Huawei device - all for just £1.99), visit MAGZTER DIGITAL NEWSSTAND.
CLICK TO BUY!
MORE FROM AROUND THE WEB: