Eureka! Entertainment have been bringing many a classic back to life over the last year or so with their remastered, extras-filled releases of a whole host of vital and influential movies from yesteryear. Now they’ve announced the one of the most important sci-fi films of all time, METROPOLIS, is to get an impressive new release.
The official press release on the upcoming Blu-ray reads:
“Eureka! Entertainment have announced the release of Fritz Lang’s METROPOLIS ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION, the mother of all sci-fi films and a major influence on Ridley Scott (BLADE RUNNER), George Lucas (STAR WARS), and pop culture in general (reference by Madonna, Beyonce and countless others), will be re-released in a 2-disc Blu-ray set in brand new SteelBook packaging, now featuring Giorgio Moroder presents: Metropolis and a 45-min documentary exploring the film’s rediscovery. Limited to just 4,000 units worldwide and including an opportunity with every SteelBook to win a unique bespoke METROPOLIS engraved solid gold bar, METROPOLIS ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION will be released as part of the Masters of Cinema series on 19 January 2015.”
For those not familiar with METROPOLIS, the official synopsis for the Lang’s classic reads:
“With its dizzying depiction of a futuristic cityscape and alluring female robot, METROPOLIS is among the most famous of all German films and the mother of sci-fi cinema (an influence on BLADE RUNNER and STAR WARS, among countless other films). Directed by the legendary Fritz Lang (M, DAS TESTAMENT DES DR.MABUSE, THE BIG HEAT, etc.), its jaw-dropping production values, iconic imagery, and modernist grandeur – it was described by Luis Buñuel as "a captivating symphony of movement" – remain as powerful as ever.
Drawing on – and defining – classic sci-fi themes, METROPOLIS depicts a dystopian future in which society is thoroughly divided in two: while anonymous workers conduct their endless drudgery below ground their rulers enjoy a decadent life of leisure and luxury. When Freder (Gustav Fröhlich) ventures into the depths in search of the beautiful Maria (Brigitte Helm in her debut role), plans of rebellion are revealed and a Maria-replica robot is programmed by mad inventor Rotwang (Rudolf Klein-Rogge) and master of Metropolis Joh Fredersen (Alfred Abel) to incite the workers into a self-destructive riot.”
Included in this new release will be the following special features:
- Opportunity in every SteelBook to win a unique bespoke Metropolis engraved solid gold bar, Weight Approx. 180g
- 150-minute reconstructed and restored 2010 version (including 25 minutes of footage previously thought lost to the world)
- Metropolis Refound - a 2010 documentary by Evangelina Loguerico exploring the rediscovery of the most complete print of the Fritz Lang masterpiece in an Argentinean film museum.
- Giorgio Moroder presents: Metropolis - the 1984 re-imaging of Metropolis featuring a soundtrack by Moroder himself and artists such as Adam Ant, Pat Benatar, Freddie Mercury and many more.
- The Fading Image – Documentary which goes behind the scenes of Giorgio Moroder’s restoration and scoring
- Pristine HD transfer (1080p on Blu-ray)
- 2010 symphony orchestra studio recording of the original 1927 Gottfried Huppertz score in 5.1
- Newly translated optional English subtitles as well as the original German intertitles
- Full-length audio commentary by David Kalat and Jonathan Rosenbaum
- Die Reise nach Metropolis (2010, 53 minutes), a documentary about the film
- 2010 re-release trailer
- 56-page booklet featuring archival interviews with Fritz Lang, a 1927 review by Luis Buñuel, articles by Jonathan Rosenbaum and Karen Naundorf, and restoration notes by Martin Koerber and more!
So quite the impressive release, we’re sure you’ll agree. Eureka’s recent releases have been something truly special, and it looks as if this all-time sci-fi classic is finally getting the crammed special edition that it so richly deserves.
METROPOLIS ULTIMATE COLLECTOR’S EDITION will be released on January 19th, 2015.
SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW OR ON TWITTER @STARBURST_MAG
Find your local STARBURST stockist HERE, or buy direct from us HERE. For our digital edition (available to read on your iOS, Android, Amazon, Windows 8, Samsung and/or Huawei device - all for just £1.99), visit MAGZTER DIGITAL NEWSSTAND.
CLICK TO BUY!
MORE FROM AROUND THE WEB: