J.J. Abrams, who directed Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness and who is serving as producer on this year’s Star Trek Beyond, spoke to the Toronto Sun about the decision. He said, “I would say there’s no replacing him. There’s no recasting. I can’t possibly imagine that, and I think Anton deserves better.”
Abrams continued by saying how the production was already tinged with sadness following the sad passing of Leonard Nimoy last year, adding, “We knew going into this movie it would be a bit of a heartbreak just because of Leonard. We had no idea just how devastating events would become.”
When asked if there’s been any thought on how to explain Yelchin/Chekov’s absence in future films, Abrams said, “I have thought about it, we’re working on it, and it’s too early to talk about it.”
How to handle the situation is certainly a delicate issue, and it’s going to be something that needs careful consideration from the powers that be.
Tragically, the talented young Yelchin passed away last month during a freak accident when his car rolled back on him and crushed him.
Star Trek Beyond is due to be released this coming Friday. There’s already been confirmation from J.J. Abrams that a fourth film in the relaunched franchise will be happening, with Chris Hemsworth’s George Kirk returning for that movie.
SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW OR ON TWITTER @STARBURST_MAG
Find your local STARBURST stockist HERE, or buy direct from us HERE. For our digital edition (available to read on your iOS, Android, Amazon, Windows 8, Samsung and/or Huawei device - all for just £1.99), visit MAGZTER DIGITAL NEWSSTAND.
CLICK TO BUY!
MORE FROM AROUND THE WEB: