Movie News: Speculation on Edgar Wright's ANT-MAN Departure

Written by Andrew Pollard Sunday, 25 May 2014

Movie News

One of the biggest news stories of this last week was the recent departure of Edgar Wright from Marvel Studios’ ANT-MAN. Whilst it was deemed an amicable parting of the ways, it was simply stated that the two parties had different visions for the movie. Treat this as purely rumour for now, but Latino Review claims to have some inside details on just what differences Marvel and Wright had.

Two particular rumours doing the rounds are that Edgar Wright was actually fired and that he had rubbed Marvel up the wrong way by being massively behind schedule and for the project haemorrhaging money. Those two rumours are said to most definitely be false. It appears that the big issue is some of the recent rewrites of the script that have taken place.

A few months ago now, Marvel and Disney’s higher-ups apparently gave Wright and co-writer Joe Cornish some notes on what they’d like included in the movie, such as the core tale of the film and nods to certain Marvel characters. Wright and Cornish then did two further drafts of the script to address Marvel’s suggestions, and this was said to also still keep the writers’ vision of the movie intact. Then, just over a month ago, Marvel apparently handed the script over to two writers, including one in-house Marvel writer, to make some further tweaks. It was only when Wright was greeted by a script that had undone the majority of his work that he decided to leave the project.

In terms of actually leaving the project, some stories say that the decision was actually made back in March whilst others say that the decision was made during a meeting of the two parties on Friday. The main problem, which you’d expect if the above is true, is that both Wright and Cornish were upset by the sudden lack of faith shown in them by Marvel Studios and Disney.

Whereas Wright and Cornish were able to leave the project, the movie’s cast are all tied to ANT-MAN. Where this goes from here, we don’t know, although it’s said that Marvel already has a director in place. They’re keeping quiet on that for now, but expect more on this as it develops.

SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW OR ON TWITTER @STARBURST_MAG

Find your local STARBURST stockist HERE, or buy direct from us HERE. For our digital edition (available to read on your iOS, Android, Amazon, Windows 8, Samsung and/or Huawei device - all for just £1.99), visit MAGZTER DIGITAL NEWSSTAND.

CLICK TO BUY!

FROM AROUND THE WEB:




Suggested Articles:
Following the film being announced earlier this year, Legendary Entertainment’s Detective Pikachu
He may have been deprived of going full-on Two Face back in the day, but Billy Dee Williams is to fi
New sci-fi thriller Solis has begun shooting for four weeks at Yorkshire’s GSP Studios. Directed
Following the news that John Carpenter had boarded Blumhouse’s upcoming Halloween reboot in an exe
scroll back to top

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

Sign up today!
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner

      
      
 
...