MR. ROBOT Creator to Write Obi-Wan Kenobi Movie?

Written by Andrew Pollard Tuesday, 25 April 2017

Movie News

Treat this as a rumour right now, but it’s certainly an intriguing and interesting possibility.

With an announcement on the next Star Wars Story movie expected at this summer’s D23 event or possibly even San Diego Comic Con, there’s a whole host of speculation on what or who the topic of that third Star Wars Story effort will be. Last year, of course, we had Gareth Edwards’ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and the Alden Ehrenreich-headlined to-be-titled young Han Solo movie is currently shooting ahead of a May 2018 release.

Where the third Star Wars Story is concerned, speculation has suggested it may focus on Boba Fett, on Yoda, or possibly even see Ewan McGregor back in the saddle as Obi-Wan Kenobi. In a new rumour, though, it’s being said that Mr. Robot’s Sam Esmail has had talks with Lucasfilm over writing just such an Obi-Wan film – although it seems unlikely that this would be the third Star Wars Story picture.

Esmail has won a whole host of fans for creating Mr. Robot, and not only that but he has written and directed every single episode of the show to date. He’s also currently developing a new miniseries adaptation of Metropolis, meaning his schedule is a little crammed right now. Still, with Disney and Lucasfilm looking at turning out plenty of Star Wars movies over the next few years, it seems only a matter of time before we get to see an Obi-Wan Kenobi picture; a picture that would hopefully focus on the character’s time between Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars (sorry, A New Hope for you younger fans).

This latest rumour comes from Omega Underground, who claim that various sources have told them that Esmail has met with Lucasfilm several times with a view to working together – and that “working together” seems to involve Obi-Wan right now. Of course, Ewan McGregor has previously said he’d be happy to return as Kenobi at the drop of a hat, and it seems logical to expect that to happen at some point.

Where the third Star Wars Story outing is concerned, previously Josh Trank was set to be announced as directing a Boba Fett-centric film. That all went sour when Trank’s time and reported behaviour on Fantastic Four saw him fall out of favour with Disney and Lucasfilm. Still, it’s expected that when an announcement comes later this year, it will indeed be to confirm fan-favourite Boba as the focus of the third Star Wars Story film.

Take all of this with a pinch of salt for now, but if Disney do indeed plan on giving audiences several further trips to a galaxy far, far away over the next decade or so, it seems like only a matter of time before we see the return of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW OR ON TWITTER @STARBURST_MAG

Find your local STARBURST stockist HERE, or buy direct from us HERE. For our digital edition (available to read on your iOS, Android, Amazon, Windows 8, Samsung and/or Huawei device - all for just £1.99), visit MAGZTER DIGITAL NEWSSTAND.

CLICK TO BUY!

MORE FROM AROUND THE WEB:



Suggested Articles:
Halloween-inspired short film Mr Dentonn has become the most awarded and selected horror short of al
With the upcoming live-action Teen Titans show having recently cast its Dick Grayson, Starfire and R
Having been in development for what seems like forever by this point, 20th Century Fox’s X-Force h
Eagerly-awaited short horror film Echoes of the Passed will have its World Premiere at the prestigio
scroll back to top

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

Sign up today!
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner