Frank Grillo Discusses a Potential PURGE Return

Written by Andrew Pollard Monday, 09 January 2017

Movie News

We were lucky enough to speak to James DeMonaco late last year, and the creator/writer/director of The Purge discussed the options for the franchise moving forward. At that point in time, a TV series and a fourth movie were both being discussed. Having starred in the last two movies of the franchise, Frank Grillo could well be key to how things move forward, and the actor has now given his thoughts on whether he’d be open to any sort of return.

Speaking to Collider, Grillo, who genre fans will also know as the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s nefarious Crossbones, explained, “It is what it is, but it’s great. It’s fun. After Anarchy, Universal called me and said, ‘You’ve got a franchise. We’re gonna continue with this, if you wanna do this.’ I was like, ‘Yeah, this is great!’ And so, when Election Year was even more successful, they were like, ‘Let’s keep doing this!’ I was like, ‘Maybe. I think I might be done, but you should keep doing it.’ But I love it. DeMonaco, who wrote and directed all of them, reminds me a lot of Byron Balasco, in the sense that he so understands the world he’s created that you just follow him. For an actor, that’s fun.”

As Leo Barnes, Grillo became a pivotal part of the franchise, and his character was used to explore different angles than what we’d seen in the first Purge movie. Whereas The Purge simply looked at the notion and concept of Purge Night itself – all crime is legal for 24 hours, and so we saw people wanting to kill for sport or just to wipe out those they found annoying – The Purge: Anarchy saw Grillo’s Barnes as a man seeking revenge for the death of his son. By the time The Purge: Election Year came out last year, the Leo Barnes character was now operating as security for a candidate looking to scrap Purge Night altogether.

Whether The Purge moves forward as a TV show or with future films, we’ll have to wait and see. Similarly, it remains to be seen whether Frank Grillo will end up returning to the franchise down the line.

On the topic of the future of the franchise, creator James DeMonaco previously told us, “I want to do, in all honesty, truth be told, they want to do Part 4, they wanna do a TV show. They’ve asked me to come and be involved, obviously. I don’t think I’m gonna direct. To me, the best place to go with Part 4, and if they allow me, what I’d like to explore even without directing, just potentially writing or just producing, would be going back and seeing how it all started. I think it would be great, instead of continuing forward, it would be nice to go back and see the inception, to see the first Purge. I think it would be cool to go there. That’s where I would like to go. They haven’t said okay to that, but that will be my pitch to them.”

As ever, expect more on the future of The Purge as and when it develops.

SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW OR ON TWITTER @STARBURST_MAG

Find your local STARBURST stockist HERE, or buy direct from us HERE. For our digital edition (available to read on your iOS, Android, Amazon, Windows 8, Samsung and/or Huawei device - all for just £1.99), visit MAGZTER DIGITAL NEWSSTAND.

 

CLICK TO BUY!

MORE FROM AROUND THE WEB:



Suggested Articles:
While we’ve all been impressed by Ben Affleck’s portrayal of the Caped Crusader, if we’re hone
In some interesting news, it appears that a Doctor Doom movie is in development. This news comes fr
The line-up for the BFI Stephen King on Screen season has been announced, and it contains the cream
With Universal having now got their ‘Dark Universe’ of shared monster movies off to a start with
scroll back to top

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

Sign up today!
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner

      
      
 
 
 
...