Anton Yelchin Won't be Replaced in the STAR TREK Franchise

Written by Andrew Pollard Wednesday, 20 July 2016

Movie News

After the tragic death of Anton Yelchin last month, it’s been confirmed that the actor’s character of Chekov won’t be recast or replaced in future Star Trek movies.

J.J. Abrams, who directed Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness and who is serving as producer on this year’s Star Trek Beyond, spoke to the Toronto Sun about the decision. He said, “I would say there’s no replacing him. There’s no recasting. I can’t possibly imagine that, and I think Anton deserves better.”

Abrams continued by saying how the production was already tinged with sadness following the sad passing of Leonard Nimoy last year, adding, “We knew going into this movie it would be a bit of a heartbreak just because of Leonard. We had no idea just how devastating events would become.”

When asked if there’s been any thought on how to explain Yelchin/Chekov’s absence in future films, Abrams said, “I have thought about it, we’re working on it, and it’s too early to talk about it.”

How to handle the situation is certainly a delicate issue, and it’s going to be something that needs careful consideration from the powers that be.

Tragically, the talented young Yelchin passed away last month during a freak accident when his car rolled back on him and crushed him.

Star Trek Beyond is due to be released this coming Friday. There’s already been confirmation from J.J. Abrams that a fourth film in the relaunched franchise will be happening, with Chris Hemsworth’s George Kirk returning for that movie.



SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW OR ON TWITTER @STARBURST_MAG


Find your local STARBURST stockist HERE, or buy direct from us HERE. For our digital edition (available to read on your iOS, Android, Amazon, Windows 8, Samsung and/or Huawei device - all for just £1.99), visit MAGZTER DIGITAL NEWSSTAND.

CLICK TO BUY!

MORE FROM AROUND THE WEB:



Suggested Articles:
Following the film being announced earlier this year, Legendary Entertainment’s Detective Pikachu
He may have been deprived of going full-on Two Face back in the day, but Billy Dee Williams is to fi
New sci-fi thriller Solis has begun shooting for four weeks at Yorkshire’s GSP Studios. Directed
Following the news that John Carpenter had boarded Blumhouse’s upcoming Halloween reboot in an exe
scroll back to top

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

Sign up today!
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner

      
      
 
...