George Lucas Had Plans for STAR WARS: EPISODE VII

Written by Christian Jones Thursday, 15 January 2015

Movie News

George Lucas has admitted to USA Today that he had hopes of directing STAR WARS: EPISODE VII himself. Now we remember Mr Lucas stating in an early issue of STARBURST, it may have been issue no. 2 or 3, that there would be nine STAR WARS movies. Then after the prequels there wasn’t to be any more films, but when Disney bought Lucasfilm and announced that they’d be keeping the saga alive with EPISODES VII, VIII and IX, it transpires that George had been mapping out a new STAR WARS trilogy with the intention of releasing the final film in May 2015 before selling Lucasfilm.

However, Disney's interest in acquiring the franchise and the thought of yet another exhausting ten-year commitment (he’s not getting any younger folks) to the series was enough to convince him to finally let his creation go.  "It's better for me to get out at the beginning of a new thing and I can just remove myself," he said. "The time is more important to me than the money."

Now Lucas is looking forward to watching J.J. Abrams's take on STAR WARS as a fan. He said, "The only thing I really regret about STAR WARS is the fact I never got to see it - I never got to be blown out of my seat when the ship came over the screen. The next one, I'll be able to enjoy it like anybody else."

Lucas hasn’t turned his back on movie making as the animated STRANGE MUSIC, which he produced and provided the storyline for, opens in the US on January 23rd.

STAR WARS: EPISODE VII – THE FORCE AWAKENS will no doubt dominate the Christmas box office when it opens December 18th.

SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW OR ON TWITTER @STARBURST_MAG

Find your local STARBURST stockist HERE, or buy direct from us HERE. For our digital edition (available to read on your iOS, Android, Amazon, Windows 8, Samsung and/or Huawei device - all for just £1.99), visit MAGZTER DIGITAL NEWSSTAND.

CLICK TO BUY!

MORE FROM AROUND THE WEB:



Suggested Articles:
Following the film being announced earlier this year, Legendary Entertainment’s Detective Pikachu
He may have been deprived of going full-on Two Face back in the day, but Billy Dee Williams is to fi
New sci-fi thriller Solis has begun shooting for four weeks at Yorkshire’s GSP Studios. Directed
Following the news that John Carpenter had boarded Blumhouse’s upcoming Halloween reboot in an exe
scroll back to top

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

Sign up today!
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner

      
      
 
...