THE STAND Planned as a Four-Movie Story

Written by Andrew Pollard Friday, 21 November 2014

Movie News

If you pick up STARBURST #407 (on sale as of today), you’ll find our preview of Kevin Smith’s walrus-based horror TUSK. Not only is Smith a favourite writer/director of ours, he’s also responsible for his own network of podcasts and TV shows. Now and again, when Smith has guests on these shows, little nuggets of information are sprayed out onto this World Wide Web thingy. As such, today brings word that the long-planned latest attempt at tackling Stephen King’s classic THE STAND is looking like it will actually end up as a four-movie effort.

Speaking on Smith’s Hollywood Babble-On Podcast, Josh Boone, the writer/director of said adaptation, revealed, “I really wanted to an A-list actor, really grounded, credible version of the movie. I sold [Warner Brothers] on a single, three-hour movie. So what happened is the script gets finished, I write it in like five months. Everybody loves it. King loves it. $87 million is what is was budgeted at. Really expensive for a horror drama that doesn’t have set pieces. They came back and said, ‘Would you do it as multiple films?’ and I said, ‘Fuck yes!’ So I think we are going to do, like, four movies.”

Boone added, “I loved my script but I was willing to drop it in an instant because you’re able to do an even truer version this way. I can’t tell you anything about how we’re going to do them or what’s going to be in which movie. I’ll just say we are going to do four movies, and we’re going to do THE STAND at the highest level you can do it at with a cast that’s going to blow people’s minds. We’ve already been talking to lots of people and have people on board in certain roles that people don’t know about. We’re looking to go into production next year, maybe in the spring.”

The basic premise of King’s 1978 novel centres on an apocalyptic world that’s the result of a release of a biological weapon. As ever, a battle of good vs evil ensues between the remaining members of the planet. In terms of names linked to the project, it was previously rumoured that Matthew McConaughey was up for the lead villain of the piece, Randall Flagg.

Expect more on this as it develops.

SHARE YOUR COMMENTS BELOW OR ON TWITTER @STARBURST_MAG

Find your local STARBURST stockist HERE, or buy direct from us HERE. For our digital edition (available to read on your iOS, Android, Amazon, Windows 8, Samsung and/or Huawei device - all for just £1.99), visit MAGZTER DIGITAL NEWSSTAND.

CLICK TO BUY!

MORE FROM AROUND THE WEB:



Suggested Articles:
Following last week’s news that an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie was now officially in development, now com
Despite having spent years in the proverbial development hell, Justice League Dark is still supposed
Ahead of Death Note landing on Netflix this Friday, there’s already early talk of a follow-up for
We’ve heard the rumours for what seems like years now, but now finally comes something far more co
scroll back to top

Add comment

Security code
Refresh

Sign up today!
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner
Banner